Hotel La Farandole
- Half board
The hotel is South facing with a large terrace giving amazing views over the glaciers of the Ecrins National Park.
• South Twin Room - Twin room - bathroom, separate toilet, balcony & plasma screen TV.
• Junior Suite - 4 pax - 2 adjoining bedrooms with either 4 single beds or 1 double bed and 2 singles, bathroom with separate toilet & balcony.
• Great North Triple Room - Room (22 m²) - 3 single beds (Italian style), bathroom and WC.
• North Double Room - Room with double bed, bathroom with toilet.
• South Duplex Suite - 4/5 pax - South facing lounge with 1 single bed, 1 pull out bed and 1 fold out bed with 2 single beds on mezzanine, bathroom, shower room, 2 WC & balcony.
• Facing the national park "Les Ecrins".
• Offers premium facilities such as steam room, indoor pool, sauna, fitness room, Jacuzzi and solarium.
• All rooms are spacious and comfortable suites - the majority are South facing with balconies and sun loungers.
• Each room has a bathroom, hair dryer, bathrobes, satellite television and a telephone.
• The "Balcon de l'Alpe" opens in the evenings and specialises in regional and traditional cuisine.
• Indoor/covered parking (at extra charge), outdoor parking free of charge.
• A lounge with piano bar and fireplace.
• Daily delivery of newspapers in English.
• Half Board included (buffet style breakfast and 5 course evening mea with winel).
Les Deux Alpes Resort Info
Les Deux Alpes skiing
Les Deux Alpes is a very popular resort with the Brits. It boasts the largest glacier in Euope (at 3568m)allowing for year round skiing. The biggest attraction for boarders and freestyle skiers, and those that like a bit of pro spotting, is the world class snowpark found at the Jandri mid-station druning the winter, and up on the glacier during the summer. Beginners and intermediates are well catered for with some nice motorway pistes, although there is only one easy run back down to resort which is sometimes shut when snow is thin on the ground. Advanced skiers should head to the La Fee area for testing black runs and to nearby La Grave for some of the best off-piste around.
Les Deux Alpes ski resort
The resort itself is quite large and spread out, meaning it lacks that "village like" alpine charm. However, it does have a very good range of shops and restaurants, plus varied and lively nightlife. For non skiers, the hamlet of Venosc with its craft shops and cute eateries is walkable when there's not too much snow, or can be reached by cable car. Childcare is very good, so families are welcomed, but there is a lot of traffic in town, which may put some off.
Overall, a lively resort and very popular with the young freestyle crowd and their followers, with La Grave and the glacier particular pluses and Grenoble Airport only 90 minutes away.
More Les Deux Alpes resort information
Les Deux Alpes Snow & Weather
|Snow Report - 26 Nov 2014|
|Last snowed|| 18-Nov-2014|
|Fresh snow||20 cm|
|Upper slopes||90 cm|
|Runs to resort||Closed|
|Off piste snow||Varied|
|Comments||Resort not yet open|
Snow Overview - France (snow news updated 26-Nov-2014)
The conditions warmed up across the French resorts over the weekend, but this did not stop Alpe d’Huez (10/100cm), La Clusaz (0/100cm) and Val Thorens (50/90cm) opening lifts for visitors on Saturday 22nd November. This was only a temporary weekend opening for Alpe d’Huez and La Clusaz, while at Val Thorens the lifts are now open daily for their season.
Tignes (15/70cm) was already open and again this week you can enjoy great skiing up on the Grande Motte glacier. The linked resort of Val d’Isere (15/50cm), which together with Tignes forms the Espace Killy ski area, will open for the winter season this coming Saturday 29th November.
Serre Chevalier (0/156cm) plans to open for weekend skiing on 29th November too, as a season pre-opener. They are saying this is the first time they’ve opened for a pre-opener in November.
Chatel (0/10cm) plans to open for weekend skiing in the Pre-la-Joux area from 29th November. The resort will only be open at weekends until they open daily from 13th December. Les Deux Alpes (0/90cm), Bareges/La Mongie (0/20cm) and Cauterets (15/25cm) all plan to open on Saturday too, although the Pyrenean resorts have not received as much fresh snow as the Alpine destinations. Font Romeu, a Pyrenean resort, has unfortunately postponed its opening from this coming Saturday due to the lack of snow cover.
European Weather Outlook
The weekend brought high temperatures to many resorts across Europe with some seeing as high as 10C. The high temperatures are expected to continue throughout the week so do take this into account when heading out to the slopes.
The forecast across Europe this week is quite varied with Austria expecting lots of sunshine, with the odd patch of cloud early on. It should be a great week for skiing in Austria with great visibility and don’t forget the sun cream.
On the other hand a large weather front is predicted to develop over Italy, France and Switzerland and as a result each country is expecting clouds to move in over the next couple of days. This emergence of cloud cover is expected to bring light snowfall, with the glacial resorts of Italy forecast to receive the most, particularly in Cervinia with up to 7cm being predicted.